At SPARC, we study audiences, performers and live music, using empirical approaches in order to understand arts experiences. Our aims are:
- to explore the purposes and practicalities of empirical research with audiences and performers;
- to consider the roles of audience members as musical participants;
- to illustrate the musical, social and personal richness of audience experience in different contexts;
- to investigate the perceived relationships between audiences and performers;
- to explore musicians’ perspectives on live performance;
- to consider the relevance of our research for arts organisations, musicians, educators and researchers.